Hello there people. I haven’t posted anything in a while. I haven’t been active on GameJudgment either. Truth is, I never get enough spare time to do anything else.
I started to pursue a Computer Engineering degree from a university in India in August. It’s been two months and I am already regretting the decision to do so. Basically, the education system is so closed and strict that it makes Pentagon look like a public square. (Okay, bad analogy)
A few months ago, I had no other obligations. I could game, write about games, study in my own time, and basically do anything I wanted. Now, I get up at five, leave home at seven, return home at five in the evening, study/do assignments till 2 in the morning and then get three hours’ worth of sleep. Problem is, the Indian education system. People praise India’s education. I honestly don’t see why. India has, in my opinion, one of the worst education systems in the world. I doubt if it’s even better than North Korea. You go to school/uni, you attend lectures, and then you go home and are expected to cram them all with no practical education/knowledge whatsoever. But then again, first year has common subjects to all Engineering streams so that I am not really studying any subjects related to computer at the moment.
Then there’s the “Required attendance” policy, which requires that you attend 75% of the class. You’re not allowed to leave the university before the time ends (4 PM), you’re not allowed to wander the halls and you’re not allowed to go to the library and search for books even in your “Library” period. Yes, we do have a library period, however, it’s basically spent on listening to some idiot babble about “Library projects and presentations.”
I have no time to game either. All my games are now sitting on my desk, gathering dust. Sometimes I wonder if “Engineering” is really the thing I want to do, and even if I do, is India really a good country for it?
Is getting older really like this, when you will have to keep following others and you have to stop pursuing your dreams? When you’re still treated as a child despite being expected to show maturity when it comes to topics like lax education system and problems with professors.
I’ve been experiencing a lot of 3 A.M. upheavals lately. I finished Persona 3 at 3 in the morning, alongwith Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3 and finished readingJerry Spinelli’s Stargirl. Every single one of them at 3 in the morning. Result? Sleepless night. Those are some of the best entertainment mediums I’ve seen which can make you squirm all night and not let you sleep.
Of course, I had a similar experience with Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and Looking for Alaska by John Green. The point is, I no longer trust early mornings. If I have to finish something on that particular day, and it drags on after 00:00, I assume it’s going to have a deep impact on me, and usually it does.
Well, nonsensical rant, but hey, it’s my personal blog, I can do whatever I want. Ciao.
Read my post on GameJudgment about Gaming in Asia and Piracy related issues.
Getting bored? Well, same here, except for the fact that I have come up with a few good ideas on what to do when you have nothing to do.
- Listen to music. It is the best thing you can do without getting annoyed(Unless your iPod runs away and you have to chase it). Think of the moments of your life which really relate to that song.
- Game. Got a Nintendo DSi? Got a PSP? Got A PS2. Then game away. Even most girls like to game, and you can really immerse in gaming.
- Read. A Lot of books are coming out these days. If you are a fan of reading novels, go to a bookstore and pick one up. Or better yet, if you’re a teenager, look for YA(Young Adult) novels on the internet. Meanwhile, check out the list of books I publish on this very same blog every week.
- Watch movies.
- Try to do something creative, like writing. Writing can help you, big time! Try to write a novel, a short story or a poem, and let your feelings run high. You can even try to write a journal every day. It is one of my favorite pastimes (writing).
- Blog! Share your experiences!
- Annoy your little sister or brother. (Well!)
- Study. Why not use the time creatively and do a little homework if you are lagging behind?
- Talk to friends on IM. Got MSN? Got AIM? Got Yahoo! Messenger? Then fire away!
I hope you don’t get bored. But even if you do, I am here to talk. So what do you say? 😉